Thursday, April 01, 2010

Style and Sensibility

When it comes to interior decor, I have appreciation for a variety of styles. From rustic to minimalism, I love it all. However I do have to say that there is a difference between pages of a glossy magazine, and a real livable space. Dreams, fantasy, and escapism may well be suited to the likes of Vogue Interiors, but practicality and beauty should be for real spaces. Unlike a tightly fitted cocktail dress, you cannot slip out of your house at the end of the evening and hop into something more comfortable. Don't get me wrong, it is perfectly ok to be inspired by the images, but when considering designs for your nest, let livability be the deciding factor. Taking for a example the loft design by JM Architecture, I fell in love the first time I saw it, (it's hard not to) but after the momentary daydream of what it would be like to live in a place like that, I suddenly realised that it would be too perfect to feel like home. I wouldn't be able to have friends for dinner without the constant worry of making a mess.


Am very curious to know your thoughts on this topic. Is this little gem too much or am I overreacting?
I welcome disagreements too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails